Ergdata iPhone Lightning Cable Firmware Error

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Styvo
Paddler

Ergdata iPhone Lightning Cable Firmware Error

Post by Styvo » November 27th, 2014, 5:40 am

Hi, I am having a problem updating the lightning cable connection kit firmware.

iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1.1

I have the ergdata app that was released a couple of days ago and it works well, however when I plug the lightning cable adapter and iPhone connection kit into the phone the app asks that I update the connection kit firmware. If I accept the update it will fail with the following error message after a couple of minutes or will sit there trying to update for 20 minutes until I cancel.
IMG_0508.jpg
IMG_0508.jpg (42.17 KiB) Viewed 7095 times
IMG_0509.jpg
IMG_0509.jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 7095 times
The cable and adapter has been working well for a few months and the adapter is a genuine apple part.

If I refuse the firmware update the the app will work with the late model PM3 (latest firmware) however it will crash when the app tries to sync when I have finished and all data will be lost and not logged.

Has anyone else seen this problem. At the moment this is making the app unusable for for logging workouts.

I have also tried restarting the phone and restarting the app several times however the firmware will not update the cable.

Styvo
Paddler

Re: Ergdata iPhone Lightning Cable Firmware Error

Post by Styvo » November 28th, 2014, 4:43 am

I have solved the problem by finding an older device with a 30 pin connector (iPad or iPhone). The error occurs because the firmware cannot upgrade a cable that has the adapter connected to it. Maybe the folks at concept could add this as a note as I see a few people being confused by this problem as lightning connected phones and tablets have been standard now for over 2 years.

chris5150
Paddler

Post by chris5150 » November 28th, 2014, 8:20 am

And don't get excited because once you have dug up your old connection & updated you will find it doesn't record the workouts anymore, just crashes out once you have finished...rubbish

jws
Paddler

Post by jws » November 28th, 2014, 1:10 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one having these problems, I've been pulling out what little hair I have left over this :D

adrosor
Paddler

Post by adrosor » December 1st, 2014, 11:24 pm

I hope this gets fixed soon. I have the same issue and plugged my cable into an older ipad in order to update the firmware. Ever since, when I'm finished with a workout the ERGDATA app crashes and does not save my workout. If you haven't update your cable yet I suggest you wait until the software is fixed. I hope my cable is still OK. I sure miss having my ergdata setup. C2 should optimize it for ipads and ipad minis.

I hear the PM5 has Bluetooth. That takes care of the problem for some I suppose. In the mean time I hope the cable can still be an option. I invested in the setup and would hate to see it die on the vine.

hugopuk
Paddler

Post by hugopuk » December 8th, 2014, 7:26 am

I am having same issue, thought I would delete my erg data completely and re-install, it now looks to have gone from I tunes, really disappointed as I have only had the cable set up for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed the convenience of updating direct to my online log.... :cry:

c2scott
2k Poster

Post by c2scott » December 8th, 2014, 9:57 am

Despite testing the app in house with great success, many customers had problems with 1.2.31 that was published. Concept2 believes we have corrected the problems and submitted a new app to the App store, but we are waiting on Apple for approval.

chris5150
Paddler

Post by chris5150 » December 9th, 2014, 9:59 am

Heads up ..the updated app is there, downloaded it just now, so lets hope it works ok

c2scott
2k Poster

Post by c2scott » December 9th, 2014, 10:21 am

Yes, hopefully so!

If you have problems, the best method for support is to write to rowing@concept2.com with a description of:
- What went wrong
- What phone, connection (wireless or wired), iOS operating system, etc. you have
- What monitor you're using

If you have iOS 8 or higher and want to participate in 'beta testing' (and get advance copies of updated apps) please email me directly -- see my picture on the side of this post for the email address. Once I receive your request you would get added to the TestFlight portal. As soon as a new copy of ErgData is approved by Apple, you will get an automated email from TestFlight. I would appreciate email instead of "PM"s on this forum.

- Scott

gauchodee
Paddler

Post by gauchodee » December 9th, 2014, 6:23 pm

The updated app was able to update the cable firmware (finally). Looks like we have a fix.