New Firmware for Ergdata cable wont install

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
gcanyon
2k Poster

New firmware for ergdata won't install

Post by gcanyon » November 27th, 2014, 1:15 am

I have the iPhone cable with a lightning adapter. When the App tries to update the firmware it says that it's loading and just sits there for minutes at a time. Sometimes it fails out, other times it just keeps going until I stop it after 10 or 15 minutes. I've only rowed one piece since this problem started, but at the end of that piece, the app died and my results were not recorded.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: New firmware for ergdata won't install

Post by Citroen » November 27th, 2014, 3:35 am

What version of firmware does your PM3/PM4 have?

Main menu --> More options --> Utilities --> Product ID

chris5150
Paddler

New Firmware for Ergdata cable wont install

Post by chris5150 » November 27th, 2014, 6:05 am

So I plug my iphone 6 into my Rower via the iphone connection, open ergdata & it tells me that there is a new firmware 1.13 for the connection, my version it says is 1.11. Gives me an option to download it, tells me to disconnect from PM4 First, so I do that, then it says 'data transfer in progress' then after 10 mins or so says its failed with the only message of 'configure write failed'
Tried it several times & everytime the same thing.....help! ( my iphone has the lightning adapter to connect to the PM4, does that effect anything? )

Thanks

cfbrock
Paddler

Re: New Firmware for Ergdata cable wont install

Post by cfbrock » November 27th, 2014, 1:11 pm

I'm having the same situation, only I'm using an iPhone 5s. Have all the current iOS and app updates, but can't update the cable firmware.

chris5150
Paddler

Post by chris5150 » November 27th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Sussed it tonight actually, it's the lightnining connector that causes the problem, I put erg data on my iPad which has the old style connector on it ,plugged in the concept2 cable and it ran the software and successfully updated it
Bit poor of concept 2 really as many may not have a phone or iPad with the previous connector, so if it won't work with a lightnining adaptor they will snookered, concept need to fix it so it works

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » November 27th, 2014, 2:37 pm

It has been around for over 2 years now, so it is surprising that C2 is not yet up to date on it.

Bob S.

gcanyon
2k Poster

Re: New firmware for ergdata won't install

Post by gcanyon » November 27th, 2014, 2:48 pm

It's trying to update the firmware of the ergdata cable, not the PM3 (which has the most recent firmware already). The app tells me to *not* have the cable connected to the PM3 while it updates.

gcanyon
2k Poster

Post by gcanyon » November 27th, 2014, 8:13 pm

chris5150 wrote:Sussed it tonight actually, it's the lightnining connector that causes the problem
I figured that as a likely culprit. I think I have an old iPad around somewhere, but I hadn't bothered to dig it out yet.

Teocady
Paddler

Post by Teocady » November 28th, 2014, 2:32 am

I had the same problem (Retina iPad Mini w/ iOS 8.1.1) so I dug out a 30-pin device (3rd gen iPad) and that successfully updated the cable.

However, when I finish rowing Ergdata fails to record the row...for either device. Ergdata crashes at the end of the row on the iPad mini, and does not crash but still fails to record the row on the 3rd gen.

chris5150
Paddler

Post by chris5150 » November 28th, 2014, 4:37 am

Yep that's what mine does, so annoying, get it fixed concept2, half hearted software update. Got to the end & bang kicks me out of ergdata & doesn't record it . very very annoying

Getting fed up nowadays of software updates that seem to be more buggy than the previous versions. lazy testing clearly

Teocady
Paddler

Post by Teocady » November 28th, 2014, 2:19 pm

...And I have a friend using an iPad Air 2 who has the same problem. He skipped the cable update and had Ergdata (1.2.31) crash at the end of the row. Unfortunately, at the speed the Apple store seems to move, it will be a while till we see an update. They should change the appstore description to have a warning 'Unless you have a PM5 - do not upgrade!'

I downgraded the 3rd gen iPad to Ergdata 1.2.12 and it appears to be recording rows despite the 'upgraded cable'.

C2Trevor
Paddler

Post by C2Trevor » November 28th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Sorry for the collective troubles. An update to ErgData which resolves this issue is now being processed by Apple for release to the App Store. This process may take a few more days. If you are interested in becoming a Beta tester of ErgData and would like this issue to be resolved immediately, please send us an email and we will be in touch.

Sorry again,
Trevor

gcanyon
2k Poster

Post by gcanyon » November 28th, 2014, 8:12 pm

No worries, Trevor -- software is, as they say about space travel, hard.

For anyone who cares, I dug out an original iPad, and unfortunately ergdata requires iOS 6, and the original iPad won't go past iOS 5.1.1.

adrosor
Paddler

Post by adrosor » December 1st, 2014, 11:34 pm

This is depressing. I have an ipad mini, updated the firmware on my cable with an older ipad but when I finish a workout it crashed and does not record anymore. Between the firmware upgrade on the cable and software update I no longer have a working option for ergdata. I hope it gets fixed soon because I've come to rely of the app. Rowing in the dark is difficult without the option of ergdata.

Mycroft221b
Paddler

Post by Mycroft221b » December 2nd, 2014, 12:15 am

I am having the same problem. I am going to call customer service tomorrow and see what they have to say. $35 for the adaptor cable was steep enough without this problem.