"c" model quiet kit (follow up)

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Robmay
Paddler

"c" model quiet kit (follow up)

Post by Robmay » October 30th, 2014, 6:20 pm

As stated in a previous posting, I ordered the silencing kit for the "c" model. And WOW! What a difference it makes? I must say the I took this opportunity to also change the chain and the bungee. But the biggest difference certainly come from the fact that the quiet sprocket has a rubber ring on each side, so the chain is not touching much metal, quite clever! I don't hear the chain any more and only the wind of the wheel turning, quite relaxing! The kit also come with the two plastic pulley which the chain ride on, so replacing those must have help also, since mine had little groove in them!

In few words I'm quite please with the kit and I think it was a 60$ well spent!

sunship
Paddler

Re: "c" model quiet kit (follow up)

Post by sunship » November 4th, 2014, 10:21 am

Very cool!

My silencing kit was a bit cheaper -- $.30 earplugs -- wear 'em every row -- :)

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » November 4th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Put some oil on those internal chain roller plain bearings or else they eventually start to squeak.

Yes the quiet kit makes a difference however I'm opting to keep my Model C standard as a comparison to my Model D.

Essentially you can turn your Model C into a D with this kit as all the key running gear in it is the same after the conversion.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Youngc29
Paddler

Post by Youngc29 » December 4th, 2014, 10:45 pm

I have just purchased an old model C and i am contemplating making a few changes, I have purchased a c-breeze and its on its way but I am thinking about ordering the quiet kit, from reading this it doesn't come with a new chain? the chain on this one was a little rusty but i just put on a teaspoon of 20W engine oil on a paper towel and it looks better.
This kit in Australia is a lot more expensive, almost double, is it difficult to do?

T5WX2p
Paddler

Post by T5WX2p » July 25th, 2015, 5:58 pm

I just installed my quiet kit. While this was my first time going into the Model C it was not difficult, but I am not a patient person so there was a bit of frustration. The instructions for the axle replacement were for the Model D/E. I had to go online to look for the instructions for the Model C, but after a while you could probably figure it out.

Here are some things that I ran into.
- There were no instructions on how to install the rollers. I had to remove the fan grate again after finishing the axle install to access the allen bolt that held one in.
- I didnt have SAE wrenches on hand, only metric wrenches so the sockets would get stuck on the bolts and took some force to remove them.
- The bearing didn't slide on easily onto the axle. I had to hit the axle on the ground while pushing down on the bearing to seat it.

The axle install was easier than the chain install.

In the end I don't think the $70USD upgrade was worth it. The kit was $60 and shipping was $8 to California.
If money is an issue then I would suggest to just upgrade the sprocket and chain. The new sprocket has nylon where the chain contacts. And the replacement chain doesn't have the top/bottom grooves that the old chain has, making for a smoother/quiet pull and return. The rest of the parts in the kit don't contribute to silencing.

As for noise, like everyone else has said before, now the hamster wheel is the main cause for noise. Is it quieter or smoother than a Model D, no. But considering I got lucky and picked up a used Model C for $50, I'm not complaining.

T5WX2p
Paddler

Post by T5WX2p » July 25th, 2015, 9:07 pm

Here's the old/new axle from another angle showing the difference between the sprockets and axles.
Notice the double hub on the sprocket.

Upgrading your chain and sprocket will also require a double hub axle.

alanmushnick
Paddler

Post by alanmushnick » November 10th, 2015, 2:00 pm

What does this mean? What rollers are we talking about here?

- There were no instructions on how to install the rollers. I had to remove the fan grate again after finishing the axle install to access the allen bolt that held one in.
Do we know if there are instructions for these rollers somewhere?

I bought the kit and was planning to do this. Can I just replace the sprocket alone without the other parts? didn't think so

any other tips?

Alan

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » November 10th, 2015, 4:26 pm

The change in the sprocket is very effective but its not really rocket science.

If your a bit of an engineer and you have access to a lathe you can just make a couple of alloy rings and loctite one to the shaft and one to the sprocket and with very careful oring sizing possibly even make an improvement to the design. The flat green rings still do not promote centralisation of the chain so its going to run down one side of the sprocket or the other, a curved surface on both sides may force the chain to centre on the sprocket as well as stop direct metal to metal contact at the bottom of the teeth without some absorption first. Just an idea but may be worth testing one day when I get really bored and run out of things to do.

Those clear rollers however are a great improvement over the hard nylon ones.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

alanmushnick
Paddler

Post by alanmushnick » November 10th, 2015, 4:40 pm

well I will plan to install the quiet kit. I don't have a lathe and will follow as per the diagrams for model C. I am sticking with the stock components.
I hope it goes smoothly and it improves the Model C to some degree that makes me think it's worthwhile.
Any other tips appreciated. Put into language of the novice.

Alan

I