Utility not working with PM5.

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
TheInsideMan
Paddler

Re: Utility not working with PM5.

Post by TheInsideMan » September 30th, 2014, 4:30 am

OK so thanks to Hollywood for the advice, i got it working last night. Seems the USB stick provided with the Model D PM5 is of pretty poor quality and doesnt make a solid connection with the monitor. I replaced it with a old USB i had lying around and BOOM all working!

thanks to everyone.

I've ordered a Polar H7 chest strap and hopefully that will sort the BlueTooth 4.0 issue.

Hollywood_Kuma
1k Poster

Post by Hollywood_Kuma » October 1st, 2014, 2:06 am

@TheInsideMan,

Please let us know how you get on with the H7 heart belt - hopefully it will work now (as it is BTLE). I'm a little worried you may have to wait for a PM5 firmware update before this will work, but hopefully this is not the case.

I use a Suunto Dual belt, which kicks out both an old-style analogue Polar signal and a digital ANT signal. My (very old) Polar watch picks up the Polar signal, the PM5 monitor picks up the ANT signal, and everyone plays nice together.

The Suunto Dual belts are reliable and fairly cheap - mine was less than 50 bucks off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Dual-Comfo ... uunto+dual

So this is perhaps an alternative if the Polar H7 doesn't work as planned.

TheInsideMan
Paddler

Post by TheInsideMan » October 1st, 2014, 1:53 pm

Hi Hollywood,

I'll be very disappointed indeed if the H7 doesn't work considering it was Concept2 UK that recommended it to me (via email). Ill let you know how I get on.

TheInsideMan
Paddler

Post by TheInsideMan » October 2nd, 2014, 2:35 pm

@Hollywood

The Polar H7 worked like a charm with the PM5. Couldn't have been easier!

Hollywood_Kuma
1k Poster

Post by Hollywood_Kuma » October 2nd, 2014, 2:44 pm

Good to know, and excuse my excessive caution.

I now know what I'll be buying for my next heart belt.

TheInsideMan
Paddler

Post by TheInsideMan » October 3rd, 2014, 5:18 am

I notice that Utility v6.77 is now availible on the C2 website.

http://www.concept2.co.uk/service/softw ... t2-utility

Hollywood_Kuma
1k Poster

Post by Hollywood_Kuma » October 3rd, 2014, 7:36 pm

This must be brand new. I've been using both the previous production release (v6.55), installed on my desktop, to record the rows done with my log card using my card reader, and the earlier beta (v6.73) to record the rows done on my PM5 using my C2 USB stick. v6.73 wasn't working for the logcards but, hopefully, the new release will work with both logcard and USB stick media. I will give it a try today. Thanks for the heads up.

Hollywood_Kuma
1k Poster

Post by Hollywood_Kuma » October 3rd, 2014, 9:41 pm

Tested v6.77 and it works seamlessly with both the new (PM5-style) USB sticks and the old (PM3/4-style) logcards. So, all is sweet in the world of C2 utilities :D

TheInsideMan
Paddler

Post by TheInsideMan » October 5th, 2014, 9:02 am

Well one thing the PM5 was meant to have, but is still lacking is wireless connection to smartphones. Hopefully the next version will have it.

Hollywood_Kuma
1k Poster

Post by Hollywood_Kuma » October 5th, 2014, 3:03 pm

@TheInsideMan,

Hopefully the wireless functionality will come in a further release. I was using Ergdata with my previous PM4 monitor, but it was a bit of a pain to put the holder on the monitor, and then cable it up. But if we had wireless, I think my iPhone would work well for external storage, and the USB sticks would then perhaps be unnecessary.

After your troubles with your USB stick, I find my stick is also now playing up. It looks cool, but it's badly engineered - the flexible nature makes the connection unreliable, and it's also easy to put the stick in the wrong way round. I'm ditching the C2 stick for a third party stick.

harrinp1
Paddler

Post by harrinp1 » October 7th, 2014, 5:35 am

TheInsideMan wrote:Well one thing the PM5 was meant to have, but is still lacking is wireless connection to smartphones. Hopefully the next version will have it.
As mentioned in another PM5 thread I got the following response from concept2 uk with regard to ErgData connectivity on the PM5:
A PM5 unit is able to connect to an iphone using the ErgData app either via the iconnect cable + an apple official 30-in to lightning adaptor or via Bluetooth (available in a later firmware version).

c2scott
2k Poster

Post by c2scott » October 13th, 2014, 4:46 pm

The older C2Utility just won't recognize the PM5. Newer and "beta" editions (6.57-6.75) in general worked just fine, but were missing many features; none of these versions could to my knowledge brick a unit. But, agreed it is safer to use software that has been tested and released.

Please note that the PM5 has an additional 'recovery mode' that can be accessed if needed, however special software tools are required (not end-user-friendly). So far as I know there are no units that a customer has managed to brick requiring this recovery method.

Regarding PM3/PM4, if it can still get to "Concept2 Loader" and have a proper serial # and working USB port then it can be reprogrammed. If the USB Port is broken (board or connector is broken) then only if the hardware is repaired can it be made to work again. If it is showing serial # 000000000 then it is not recoverable until the serial # can be accessed again. There is a known technique by removing a part from the board to recover, but in general Concept2 would not ask a end-user to do this, we would suggest a replacement. If you are having specific difficulty with a undamaged unit, please write or call for assistance.

Urania
Paddler

Post by Urania » November 5th, 2015, 5:15 pm

c2scott wrote:The older C2Utility just won't recognize the PM5. Newer and "beta" editions (6.57-6.75) in general worked just fine, but were missing many features; none of these versions could to my knowledge brick a unit. But, agreed it is safer to use software that has been tested and released.

Please note that the PM5 has an additional 'recovery mode' that can be accessed if needed, however special software tools are required (not end-user-friendly). So far as I know there are no units that a customer has managed to brick requiring this recovery method.

Regarding PM3/PM4, if it can still get to "Concept2 Loader" and have a proper serial # and working USB port then it can be reprogrammed. If the USB Port is broken (board or connector is broken) then only if the hardware is repaired can it be made to work again. If it is showing serial # 000000000 then it is not recoverable until the serial # can be accessed again. There is a known technique by removing a part from the board to recover, but in general Concept2 would not ask a end-user to do this, we would suggest a replacement. If you are having specific difficulty with a undamaged unit, please write or call for assistance.
Dear Mr. Scotth, please, if is possible, how to remove a part from the board to recover, to repair PM3 when the serial is # 000000000.
many thanks

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » November 5th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Urania wrote:
Dear Mr. Scotth, please, if is possible, how to remove a part from the board to recover, to repair PM3 when the serial is # 000000000.
many thanks
Take a good look at Scott's forum avatar and you'll discover a way to directly contact him. An email to the address you discover is probably the way to find how to do this funky hardware fix.