Shimano stretcher mounts snapped in 45K meters --

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
sunship
Paddler

Shimano stretcher mounts snapped in 45K meters --

Post by sunship » September 24th, 2014, 2:34 pm

-- back to the drawing board.

Nice folks at Shimano!

Before --

After -- (bottoms up) --

RoidbotPR
500m Poster

Re: Shimano stretcher mounts snapped in 45K meters --

Post by RoidbotPR » September 25th, 2014, 7:49 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JtlcwXmTYc

at 1:42 you can see a footstrap solution. I don't think it's for sale, but it looks like a good aftermarket solution, as are the handles.

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Re: Shimano stretcher mounts snapped in 45K meters --

Post by jackarabit » September 25th, 2014, 9:36 pm

I'd prefer not to disassemble the chain gate and monitor strut to allow use of the Canadian's hedge shears if he managed to market them. I agree with his observation that the bloody pushmower handle is a bit of slowly accumulating pain for those of us with nerve problems in thumbs and wrists. I have pain and numbness only In my left hand and that's plenty. I watched a vid of Rich Cureton's meltdown or multiple HDs in Boston. Sad to say I think this guy's hands were hurting him. Surgery to enlarge the carpal tunnel is routine these days and I feel like I ought to have it done. In the meantime, I rigged up some handles from PVC water supply pipe and parachute cord and then invested in ready made strap handles of the sort used with cable row machines and tubes and bands. Attached to the web of relief holes in the center of the erg handle, these handles produce the scissor action of the "hedges shears" at the finish of the stroke for an investment of 10-12$ for a set of two. I added split 1" foam pipe insulation to mine to increase the diameter and add some padding. I continue to row with the strait handle and save the D-handles for long rows and the challenge silliness. Two weeks into the Fall team challenge this coming Sunday and I will hit at least 200K then and will likely be over 400k on the metre board for month of September so I need all the help I can get! Thank my lucky stars I don't have foot problems! Jack
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb