Vibram Five Fingers for Erging

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
jliddil
6k Poster

Vibram Five Fingers for Erging

Post by jliddil » April 24th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Anyone wearing Five Fingers when they row. Found a few reviewers who have used them. Looking for other views. I ave been rowing in socks really helped my piriformis. I think the heels in the running shoes are an issue.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com

JD
JD

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Re: Vibram Five Fingers for Erging

Post by Carl Watts » April 25th, 2010, 2:06 am

No problem rowing in running shoes here. I use a top of the line pair of Nike Shox that are no longer any good for running in. Each to their own however, some people prefer bare feet. Also use a pair of cycle gloves with some decent GEL in them, great for protecting the hands and wiping any sweat that threatens to get in my eyes.

Interesting looking footware !
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

macroth
5k Poster

Post by macroth » April 25th, 2010, 8:03 am

I find erging barefoot or in socks to be uncomfortable because of the bumps and ridges on the footrests. The VFF's give that extra little bit of comfort, but with some models (classic, sprint) the strap will be coming over an exposed part of your foot, which might not be comfortable either for you. KSO's have mesh on top.

If running shoe heels are causing problems for you, you could also go with indoor soccer shoes (addidas samba, etc.) or low profile "street" sneakers (by Puma and Asics, for example). Those are quite flat with a relatively thin sole.
43/m/183cm/HW
All time PBs: 100m 14.0 | 500m 1:18.1 | 1k 2:55.7 | 2k 6:15.4 | 5k 16:59.3 | 6k 20:46.5 | 10k 35:46.0
40+ PBs: 100m 14.7 | 500m 1:20.5 | 1k 2:59.6 | 2k 6:21.9 | 5k 17:29.6 | HM 1:19:33.1| FM 2:51:58.5 | 100k 7:35:09 | 24h 250,706m

jliddil
6k Poster

Post by jliddil » April 25th, 2010, 12:06 pm

macroth wrote:I find erging barefoot or in socks to be uncomfortable because of the bumps and ridges on the footrests. The VFF's give that extra little bit of comfort, but with some models (classic, sprint) the strap will be coming over an exposed part of your foot, which might not be comfortable either for you. KSO's have mesh on top.

If running shoe heels are causing problems for you, you could also go with indoor soccer shoes (addidas samba, etc.) or low profile "street" sneakers (by Puma and Asics, for example). Those are quite flat with a relatively thin sole.
I erged a half-marathon this morning in Thor-Lo padded running socks and it was fine. Enough cushioning to let me feel the footrest ridges but not have them dig into my feet. I did think about the way the VFF have open tops on some styles and where the C2 strap would come across. If nothing else I get a pair and wear them when I garden. I'll have to go the sports store and look at shoes with thinner soles also.

JD
JD

jliddil
6k Poster

Post by jliddil » April 25th, 2010, 12:09 pm

Carl Watts wrote:No problem rowing in running shoes here. I use a top of the line pair of Nike Shox that are no longer any good for running in. Each to their own however, some people prefer bare feet. Also use a pair of cycle gloves with some decent GEL in them, great for protecting the hands and wiping any sweat that threatens to get in my eyes.

Gloves? I got all kinds of comments when I posted my video about me wearing gloves. You need to toughen your hands comments. Well I went to wearing no gloves and got calluses that are really annoying so I went back to gloves on and off and things are much better. I'll have to look at gel gloves or the newgrip "gloves"
JD

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » April 25th, 2010, 4:03 pm

I've rowed more than 40 million meters barefoot, with no problems at all.

I much prefer rowing barefoot, to having something obstructive on my feet.

I usually covered the ridges with a rubberized strip from Orchard Supply Hardware.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » April 25th, 2010, 8:15 pm

jliddil wrote:
Carl Watts wrote:No problem rowing in running shoes here. I use a top of the line pair of Nike Shox that are no longer any good for running in. Each to their own however, some people prefer bare feet. Also use a pair of cycle gloves with some decent GEL in them, great for protecting the hands and wiping any sweat that threatens to get in my eyes.

Gloves? I got all kinds of comments when I posted my video about me wearing gloves. You need to toughen your hands comments. Well I went to wearing no gloves and got calluses that are really annoying so I went back to gloves on and off and things are much better. I'll have to look at gel gloves or the newgrip "gloves"
Nothing wrong with gloves, the Handle on the Concept 2 model C becomes very slippery if you happen to sweat alot which happens when I do longer rows at pace. The gloves end up doing about 3 things to improve my rowing.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » April 26th, 2010, 12:59 pm

I've got VFF and do some short runs in them but mostly I use them for walking. I like them quite a bit, I think then make for healthier feet and a better gait (at least for me) when running.. I've used them for erging a few times and they worked quite well. (hardly erging at all now that I can row OTW). But I don't care very much what is on my feet on the erg.

Couloirman
Paddler

Post by Couloirman » May 27th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Five fingers are the best thing that ever happened to my feet. If you can get your hands on a pair(they are always backordered) then do it.

Now on the topic of VFF's for erging, unless you are working out at a gym I see no reason to ever wear footwear on an erg. At a gym, sure the VFF's will be great on an erg but the material on the top of them is not the most abrasion resistant so id definitely go strapless

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » May 28th, 2010, 10:18 am

Couloirman wrote: Now on the topic of VFF's for erging, unless you are working out at a gym I see no reason to ever wear footwear on an erg. At a gym, sure the VFF's will be great on an erg but the material on the top of them is not the most abrasion resistant so id definitely go strapless
One time I got a cut on the top of my foot from the strap. It was during a fairly long piece - 60', I think, and it was on my old model B. I went back to wearing (crew) socks, which had been the standard rowing footwear in shells many years ago, before the built in rowing shoes were introduced. When I got my model D, it appeared that there would be a lot of wear on the socks (like the VFFs), but I took up strapless rowing for low rate stuff shortly after that. Nowadays, I keep it strapless unless I expect to rate over 30 spm. With the top strap off, there is no cutting problem, but the back strap on the D is not all that great on really long pieces. It is also wearing on socks. I still erg occasionally without footwear, but my usual practice is to use an ancient pair of very thin soled bedroom slippers (with thin socks for hygienic purposes). These have gotten worn by the back strap, so I put duct tape around the back of the heel to get more mileage out of them. I even wore them at the C-B. I'm sure that it looked weird, but I didn't get any comments.

Bob S.

bloomp
10k Poster

Post by bloomp » May 29th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Yeah because you kick more ass than people half your age, Bob!
24, 166lbs, 5'9

brayantobbe
Paddler

Post by brayantobbe » June 18th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Based on my experience, one of the things I like the most about the Five Fingers is that even when they're wet or muddy, they're not uncomfortable like you would be if you ran through a mud bog in regular running shoes and socks. They still give your feet the comfort. It is no doubt that it is one of the best shoes ever.

Timeinvestment
Paddler

Post by Timeinvestment » December 23rd, 2010, 10:50 pm

New to rowing and my Vibram 5 fingers! Love both

enrage
1k Poster

Post by enrage » December 26th, 2010, 2:40 pm

i love my vibrams but I for some reason I can't wear them when i row. The heel strap on the rower digs into my ankles.
So i wear the classic seashell adidas shoes instead.
Are you a Lebowski Achiever?

cebeas
Paddler

Post by cebeas » June 3rd, 2011, 11:11 pm

I tried rowing barefoot and my feet would get sweaty and slip around. Also the ridges on the Model E are uncomfortable. I have been on model Ds that are smoother. The heel lift in running shoes is just bad for you (well me anyway). Besides the idea is to make the flywheel spin -- not compress the soles of your shoes. Socks never worked very well for me either. I had some vibrams (sprints) that I got to windsurf in and decided to give them a try. I have about a million meters in them with no blisters hotspots or any other problems. I run in them too. They aren't for everyone though. My wife can't stand them for more than about 15 minutes at a time. Merrill makes some "barefoot" shoes (trail gloves) that would likely work for people that can't do VFFs.