ergonomic question regarding erg’s handle

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
biglou13
Paddler

ergonomic question regarding erg’s handle

Post by biglou13 » March 8th, 2009, 2:36 pm

ergonomic question regarding erg’s handles

if one is extremely large 54inch chest more importantly broad shouldered, greater width than width of handle. Ergonomically speaking is it possible that standard handle is too short/ not wide enough????

I suspect it is. From watching videos of me rowing the wrist angle is definitely not neutral.

Rules of proper body mechanics, it is important to have neutral wrist angle, as repetitive stress injury can and will occur with improper alignment.

The nature of the c2 rowing machine is very adaptive to body types and sizes but i feel that there may be an issue here.
With a lesser shoulder width you would be able to facilitate a narrower grip. But wider there is no option.

The only other fit issue that might be negative is foot width in alignment with legs and hips but since these go through such large joints and muscle groups , I don’t think this will be an issue. Although feet to hip alignment would be optimum

My question is, is there a experimental/ prototype /longer handle that I might be able to try out??? or wider handle available for purchase from C2 or other after market provider?????

or do you have DIY ideas/plans for wider/longer handle?

The old handles are straight wood. The newer seem to have some angles built in does anyone have tech info on the latter?

Physiologist questions?
How would one calculate proper/ergonomic length of handle, angle of handle for given shoulder width?

Given a short handle how to calculate increased angle to accommodate?

paul s
1k Poster

Post by paul s » March 8th, 2009, 4:49 pm

A few people here have had trouble with elbow pain from the new handle style. The majority of people seem to be alright with it. There are a few who have altered or made their own handles. Perhaps they wil chime in with a suggestion or two for you.

Paul Salata
69 - 270lbs - PB (Classified for reasons of embarressment)

biglou13
Paddler

Post by biglou13 » March 8th, 2009, 6:34 pm

thanks for reply

im looking forward to those additional replies.

i a little surpised thta c2 has not yet adressed this issue. i think a longer straight hadle would solve the issue!!

but the tinkerer side of me has me thinking of user adjustable angle, plus width adjustable handle. (might help with light callous formation)

i'm starting to get wrist issue, might not be rowing but would be nice to rule out

jcm
Paddler

Re: ergonomic question regarding erg’s handle

Post by jcm » March 8th, 2009, 8:55 pm

biglou13 wrote: ...
My question is, is there a experimental/ prototype /longer handle that I might be able to try out??? or wider handle available for purchase from C2 or other after market provider?????

or do you have DIY ideas/plans for wider/longer handle?
Maybe using one of the attachments for the gym machines like those for lat or pull down. (I cannot post a URL, but you should be able to google them)

JC

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » March 9th, 2009, 11:50 am

biglou, The current molded handle is 3" longer than the straight wooden handle we used to have. We felt a little wider and with a few degrees of downward orientation would be more like rowing and appeal to more people. For the most part it's been accepted, with the occasional adaptation issues that PaulS mentions. Right now we don't have any plans to change the design of this part so you may want to just use it and see how it goes before making any changes. Note that adding width to your current handle would probably result in higher forces being generated in the connection area, which could result in failure of the handle. C2JonW
72 year old grandpa living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee 1980-2018! and what a long, strange trip it's been......

shu246
Paddler

Post by shu246 » March 9th, 2009, 10:40 pm

I retro-fitted the new plastic handle to my B Model a couple of years ago.

The plastic handle is indeed wider than the old wood type, and does have that anhedral (downward angle to the wings).

At 6 ft 2 in, 200 lb, 36 inch sleeves, and proportionately long legs, the downward sweep does help clearing the knees on the power stroke.

However the downsweep of the handle does seem to make it more important that a loose grip be used. I most often use a three finger hook toward the ends of the handle, often with little finger hanging over the end. A significant amount of the time I flip over to a loose underhand grip, same place.

Toward the end of the stroke, pulling the handle toward the belly button, elbows go out like wings; the wrists stay straight at the end of the arms, which means the hand rolls from the end of the handle; stroke ends with (overhand grip) mostly just the index finger hooked.

Works for me.

-shu