Buying a Concept2 model, pointers to look for?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
dekoningf
Paddler

Buying a Concept2 model, pointers to look for?

Post by dekoningf » January 20th, 2009, 3:45 am

Being new with the rowing, other than once or twice in the gym, i am trying to find a good, used, rower ...... this brought me to this site; Concept2 the best there is?!

My question is: what should i look for and what are a few pionters to look for in a used Concept2 rower, befor buying it?.
I like to buy one, but since it is a lot of money, i would like to buy a good one.

(Sorry for my misspelled words, since i am from the netherlands)

Thanks for the respond, Frits

Cyclist2
10k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » January 20th, 2009, 6:59 pm

C2 indoor rowers (ergs) are very durable. If not abused, they last forever with minimal maintenance. Look for the typical things; rust, dents and dings, other visual clues. The shock cord and chain assembly inside the rail is a little harder to see, but a few strokes listening to it may give you some clues. If the handle does not retract briskly, then the mechanism may need some work. Check the C2 web page for maintenance manuals with lots of good illustrations.

Good Luck, you won't regret getting one.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » January 21st, 2009, 1:56 pm

New or used? I found mine by posting a notice at the local rowing clubs. We have several here in Seattle. Chatting up the rowing club coaches etc works too. I found one at a substantial savings that had only 60,000 meters on it. The lady had a 2nd baby and was too busy to row

regards, grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

rowland
500m Poster

Post by rowland » January 21st, 2009, 8:25 pm

As long as the rower was cosmetically okay and the monitor was functioning properly and it was priced accordingly. it would be fine. They can be completely rebuilt, buying new parts from C2, All the instructions are included or you can get them on line
Sometimes they can be a real deal. I recently bought a C for a $100.00 for a friend. It looked fine but needed some need work. For around $60 it ran great.